Savage Arms 110 Ultralight

I can't explain it, but I have a real Jones for a new Savage Arms 110 Ultralight.

Savage Arms’ Lean 110 Ultralite Now Shipping

It would provide all the practical use for me as a third nipple, but I have to admire what they've done.

Not as slick of an action as some other brands, Savage, in my experience, spends their money on the barrel, which we all know is the heart of any firearm.  The actions just chug along doing their thing year after year, decade after decade, and the entire package is more accurate than their bargain basement price would have you believe possible.

Not that the Ultralight is bargain basement price, and, as such, will likely never grace my collection, but a boy can dream.

And, what chambering?  I think I would have to go with .270.  I used a .270 in college to repeal the overwhelming hoards of jack rabbits which were feared to take over the Southwest.  (Never heard of the Great Jack Rabbit Plague of the 1990's?  That's because we were good at what we did.)  And, recently rereading a vintage Ross Seyfried article about all the new, at that time, wonder rifle cartridges, he said that they really did nothing that a good, old fashioned .270 wouldn't do in the field.  He admitted an emotional tug to the .30 calibers but that the .270 shoots flatter and the game doesn't seem to know the difference.  Same principle holds true today.

But, see, while I staunchly back hunting rights (Disney movies aren't real life), I'm not a hunter.  And, I'm certainly not the mountain hunter such a gun as the Ultralight is intended for.  Yeah, but... it would be fun to punch holes in targets and ring steel with at the range, and, just maybe, on occasion, remind the jack rabbits not to get too cocky.

Who knows, maybe I'll find a clean Ultralight on the used rack in a few years?

Popular posts from this blog

Transitioning a Society

The Public as Pawns

George Orwell - a Last Warning